Monday, March 08, 2010

I was smiling at 4:52am.

For real, couldn't make myself stop smiling. Two of my favorite songs came back to back on the radio and I just laughed at how happy I was to be going to Phase 2Bootcamp before dawn on a Monday morning. The sun was even starting to lighten the sky by the time I was on my way home! There wasn't a trace of snow anywhere on the gorud. I wasn't even wearing a jacket!

A week off had allowed my body to rest, minus the 5K race I completed Saturday. I was proud of myself for doing it, but also disappointed that I found it so hard. I think I set myself up. All the visualizing I did in my head didn't match the reality of the situation. I am not a runner anymore. I still have more weight on my body than needed. For so long when I was on bedrest, or trying to inspire myself with a postive mental image to keep from thinking about a bad one, I would imagine myself running a mini marathon. I was wearing a bright colored shirt and joyfully bouncing across the finish line.


When I executed this dream over the weekend, I had the bright colored shirt, but the only joyful bouncing going on was my ass. By the way, I saw some funny looking asses during my run that did make me feel better about my own! My husband pointed out all the nice butts were probably far ahead of us! I was kind of diapointed after the race at my performance.

But by Monday my knee and ankle felt better again. I remebered other things I noticed during my downtime, the progress that isn't noted on my weighloss/measurment chart. It is easier to do a squat with 25+ pounds baby im my arms. Effortless, actually. I do it without cringing or pain in knee or hips. I bet if I were dancing in the club I could drop it like its hot and come right back up without geting stuck and do it again!

I can reach things I couldn't get to before. I am more flexible, agile even. I can climb in and out the back of a tiny sports car without hoisting or moaning and graoning. Clothes that were tight when I bought them 6 months ago are falling off my body. I can actually get a pair of jeans over my hips and thighs without unbuttoning them. Hell, I need a belt! That never happens.

Sometimes when I look in the mirror all I can see is how far I still have to go. But some of the most important victories I've had this week were not physical. I sat at Clifton's, the yummiest, cheesiest, crust filled pizza place in town, and didn't eat. I just enjoyed the company and avoided the temptations. I went to another pizza party at my family's house to watch the last UL game in Freedom Hall and I brought my own food in a bag. They looked at me like I was crazy, but I didn't crack.

To me, that is more of a success than any number in the record book. And the record books have my name all over them these days, I lost 22.2 lbs the first round of Bootcamp. In one month. And now I'm ready to do it again! I can never express how greatful I am to Kyle Harrod and the people I have come in contact with at Maximun Fitness for the inspiration and opportunity to grow and become stronger at such an awesome place.

No comments: