Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Cracking the Egg

I’ve been inspired by two of the random things I saw recently on daytime TV.  DVR’d shows and movies to be enjoyed in peace and commercial free when the kids are at Parents Out and this parent’s trying to chill out.  Get some daunting domestic shit done like sorting, folding & putting away the family of 5’s dirty-again-too-soon drawers.  I’ve been enjoying the mental distraction of TV and hey, wouldn’t you know something inspiring came out of the tube wasteland.

First favorite new viewing habit is the MTV adolescent series ‘Awkward’ about the modern day trials and tribulations of the classic American teen girl.  I am totally a 15 year old girl on the inside.  Mainly it’s about her ‘blog’, such a 21st century phenomenon in itself, freedom of the press to the fullest.  No censors, no filters, the freedom to announce and express any ‘ol thing to the world without suffering consequences of saying it to their face.  Beautiful.

The other movie muse I stumbled upon was the B flick ‘Julie & Julia’ a cheesy fake-umentary about another once upon a time washed out wanna be blogger getting rich off some stupid shit.  Presenting Julia Childs’ recipes from her famous cookbook as a challenge and writing about it daily.  I could do that.

The cooking part was intriguing to me; I can barely follow a recipe.  I just don’t think certain things are really important when cooking like which order to add in certain ingredients, or stuff like timing and temperature.  So to watch a master (Meryl Streep) playing the role of a master, not bad… and it gave me an idea.

I can do that shit.  Write and blog and inspire the masses.  I already have a blog, even if all of …. ummm let me check..... 13 people following it might possibly be reading my rants and ramblings.  But I needed to do that, follow through with something, especially if it involved doing something for me!  What becomes of the writer who doesn’t write??? 

I have a voice other than one that yells “Bryce!  Carly!  Alyssa!”  and she needs to be heard!

My blog hasn’t been updated lately, but there have been occasional writings I never posted or published.  I got all caught up in the public ‘blog’ idea sharing thing again.  It kind of turned me off.  I began writing more journal-like entries I never quite felt comfortable sharing with the world.  But what’s the point of having a blog then; I might as well just ‘Dear Diary’ it up and leave massive amounts of chicken-scratch filled spiral notebooks for my kids to decipher someday when I’m dead.

But else something was also missing from my life, the public forum of sharing my thoughts, the regular rush of writing for a deadline, the idea what I have to say matters.  For most of my adult life I’ve had a public forum, my own column in the high school newspaper “Leah’s Lines” (how creative).  I commented on the likes of Princess Diana’s death and the intrusive paparazzi years before it was a trending topic.  I paid tribute to my friend on the anniversary of her death.  At UL, I was the editor of the whole Features section of our college newspaper and had a weekly outlet for my expressions.

Lately, nothing.  It’s like I don’t exist to the world outside my 3 kids and a few friends and family members.  I still have shit to say and I have been reminded that my story matters, my insights are valuable and my experiences still help people.  So I’m getting over my fear of blogging bullshit and challenging myself to a new writing regimen.  This is actually just one step of many in my new lifestyle overhaul, but more on that to come. J

On the writing front I am committing to a 90 Day Challenge to write AND PUBLISH one new blog entry daily.  Can you handle that much Leah!?  It doesn’t have to be a new blog entry, I would love to go back and actually publish online some of what I have written in the past, and quit over analyzing and editing to death my other blog entries that never saw the light of day. 

I learned through some work with a Life Coach last year that in order to be authentic to Leah and in turn others, I need to stop hiding behind myself and crack myself wide open.  So here it goes, me in all my honest essence, like it or not.  Would love to hear comments.

Let’s crack this egg wide open.

 
1 Blog to show…..
89 to go!

No comments: